Millennial-Age Consumers Care and Want to Know the Causes You Care About!
Millennial-age consumers- the generation comprising the primary bridal jewelry market – are both far more conscious of social responsibility than previous generations, and far more demanding that the companies they do business with behave responsibly and give back.
As good corporate citizenship is of increasing importance to these consumers it guides how they make decisions about where they are going to spend their dollars. According to the 2012 Cone Cause Evolution Cone, 94% of Americans would switch from one brand to another of comparable product and price if one were associated with a good cause. And, when choosing an issue to support, 91% of Americans believe it is important for companies to choose a cause that is important in the communities where they do business. (see www.coneinc.com)
There’s a unique relationship between Africa and the international diamond and jewelry industry. With Africa being a continent rich in the natural resources that play a starring role in jewelry (diamonds, gemstones, silver, gold, platinum and more), the Diamond Empowerment Fund offers an unprecedented opportunity for the diamond jewelry industry to unite around the cause of making a positive difference through supporting education initiatives in African communities where diamonds are a natural resource.
We encourage designers, manufacturers, retailers and the entire international diamond jewelry industry to join our cause and our mission through a variety of partnership opportunities including direct donations, sponsoring our events, creating, marketing and selling jewelry which benefits D.E.F. or a unique program tailored to fit your specific goals.
Cause and Effect: Reasons To Be a Part of D.E.F.
- A diamond jewelry piece associated with D.E.F. speaks to the growing consciousness of the consumer, offering an excellent way to strengthen your brand’s image.
- All diamond jewelry created for D.E.F. is Kimberley Process compliant and proactively giving back.
- D.E.F. provides a high-profile platform for companies involved in the international diamond jewelry sector to develop a cause marketing program for their company that connects the consumer to fact that when they purchase items that are supporting D.E.F., they are helping empower Africans through education in the very regions where the precious resource of a diamond originated. D.E.F. will partner with you to develop a cause strategy that is customized to your company’s interests, and will work with your marketing team to support its efforts to promote the connection with the cause.
- D.E.F. provides a forum to reinforce the connection between the priceless qualities of a diamond — a rare and beautiful resource that is non-renewable — and the priceless, renewable resource of the human mind which continues to grow and renew though access to high quality education.
The D.E.F Road Has Many Lanes
There are many ways you can support D.E.F. and help Africa’s most precious diamonds – its next generation of youth.
Designers, Manufacturers and Retailers
Make D.E.F. a central component of your product offering and marketing strategy.
- Create a signature piece or collection under the D.E.F. banner and make it an important part of your line.
- Take an existing product or collection and designate a part of the retail sales price to benefit D.E.F.
- Develop a cause campaign specific to your market to invigorate your core consumer.
Support Special Events
Support D.E.F.’s events throughout the year including our annual GOOD Awards and raise your profile amongst the cause-savvy consumer.
Contribute directly to D.E.F. through tax-deductible donations that may be a part of your organization’s existing commitment to giving back to the communities in which they do business.
Work with D.E.F.
Work with the Diamond Empowerment Fund to develop your own unique road to supporting education in Africa that might involve direct mentoring of youth, internships, and training and employment opportunities for Africans.
Media outlets can promote the good work of all in the diamond jewelry industry who support D.E.F. Feature the stories of companies supporting D.E.F. and the individuals dedicated to making a difference. Use your platform to recognize good efforts and inspire giving!
True Case Study of Success
The Green Bracelet, made of malachite with a rough diamond accent, was the first item of jewelry created to benefit D.E.F. Retailing for $125, Simmons Jewelry Co. donates to D.E.F. $12.50 or more from the sale of each Green Bracelet. As of the close of calendar 2012, more than $1,000,000 had been raised for D.E.F. through the Green Bracelet. We are deeply grateful to Simmons Jewelry Co. and its retail partners for this wonderful piece of jewelry that provides an example of how a jewelry manufacturer and its retail partners can raise money for the D.E.F cause.
In 2010, Royal Asscher dedicated its Stars of Africa and Shining Stars Ring collection to benefit D.E.F.’s mission. To-date over $50,000 has been raised to help our mission of developing the next generation of African leaders.
For more information please contact us at 212.840.9399 or n.lyman [@] diamondempowerment.org